About the Scholarship
The mission of the Adams & Giannou Community Engagement Scholarship is to recognize individuals with Down Syndrome who are committed to enriching the lives of others.
Marianna Adams and Natalia Giannou are sisters who grew up in Toronto, Canada. Marianna, who has Down Syndrome is the eldest of four siblings and is a tremendous role model in her family and community.
She has spent over 20 years contributing to her community by working with preschool-aged children, volunteering in her church, counseling children at camp, and lending a helping hand to those in need. She has shown compassion to those around her by writing cards, making bracelets, spending time with the elderly, and those in need of a friendly face and open ears. Her kindness, compassion, and intelligence are just a few of the things that make her so special.
We are celebrating Marianna and honoring her contributions by awarding a scholarship to five individuals who participate in their community. There are so many people with Down Syndrome who are enriching the lives of others daily. The recipient of this award will receive financial recognition.
Five deserving self-advocates who demonstrate a passion for supporting their local community through service or volunteering and who exemplify Marianna’s passion for helping others will be selected to receive a 2022 Adams & Giannou scholarship. Each recipient will receive $1,000.
- Have Down Syndrome
- Be 15 years or older
- Demonstrated community involvement and volunteering
To apply, please provide the following:
- Photos or videos of the individual with Down syndrome
- Name, address, age, phone number and e-mail address. Self-advocates may apply for themselves or have someone complete the application for them.
- Please tell us about yourself by submitting an essay or video highlighting your contributions to your community.
- Letter of recommendation (download) from someone who is not a family member and can attest to the individual’s commitment to their community. Letters of recommendation can be sent to email@example.com.
- Five self-advocates will receive the 2023 Adams/Giannou Scholarship
- $1,000 will be awarded per recipient
You should complete the application as independently as possible by June 8, 2023.
You will receive an email confirmation that we received your application. If you have any questions about completing the application, please contact NDSS at firstname.lastname@example.org.